A Whole Lota Nothin'!

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Dreams....

From time to time, I have some bizarre dreams and it drives me absolutely nuts wondering why in the world I dreamt what I did. So, for Christmas, my hubby bought me a book that I had on my wish list- The Encyclopedia of Dreams ~ Symbols & Interpretations. The book tells you all about the science of dreams- different theories, studies, etc, nightmares, working with dreams and so forth. It also then gives you the interpretations and meanings of different symbols that many dream about. I haven't gotten through all of the reading part, but so far it's fairly interesting. I've also looked at many of the different symbols. However, ever since I got the book, I can't remember much of my dreams or any "symbols" that may stand out in my dreams to be able to read about the possible interpretation! (Didn't get this book to stop dreaming! LOL!) Anyway...here are a few examples of different symbols in dreams-

Dreaming about a:

Drawer- Containment, confinement, or repression. Putting something away or keeping it in abeyance. Unwillingness to acknowledge something, wanting to forget something. Drawers often are similar in meaning to prisons or confining rooms. Other meanings: 1) A safe place. 2) Organization if neat. 3) Lack of organization if messy.

Newspaper- Public disclosure or exposure. Information, truths and secrets reveled to the world.

Storm- As a destructive force of nature, and thus linked to the earth, storms are a shadow symbol of the emotions and instincts. They may point to a repression of emotions which builds to a point where they become released in the fury of a thunderstorm, tornado, hurricane and so on. Storms are accompanied by downpours of water (the unconscious, the reservoir of emotions, instincts and intuitions). One seeks shelter from a storm by going within (reconnecting to one's emotional/instinctual nature), such as to a house, cave, building or the underground. storms also may mirror horrendous or violent events that have happened in life; they symbolize feelings of being out of control or overwhelmed as a result.

And of course here’s a common one- Dreaming about falling:

Falling- Feeling out of control, or being emotionally overwhelmed. Falling is a common nightmare motif that occurs during times of great upheaval and stress in life. Falling also is common during the last trimester of pregnancy, and anticipates the birthing process.Falling into water indicates a need to immerse one’s self in a healing in the unconscious. Falling through space or air, or falling to the ground, indicates a need to be grounded, to come back to earth. Other meaning: Lack of support.

Anyway, there's just a few...if you ever need to know the meaning of something you dreamt about, just let me know and I'll gladly look it up!

1 Comments:

  • That's pretty cool. I guess when I have a nightmare I just need to e-mail you so you can look it up :)

    I dream about falling every once in awhile. It's cool to know why now.

    By Blogger Karen, at 5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home