A Whole Lota Nothin'!

Monday, April 09, 2007

Guilt....

Awhile back Dr. Mike blogged about "facing your fears". One of my fears is nursing homes. I don't know what it is about them, but I am scared to death of them. I am not talking about that fact of me possibly being in one someday, I am talking about having to visit them. The old people in there just frighten me, I don't know why...it's just one of those things I couldn't come to terms with. My grandfather was in a nursing home and I didn't visit him very often and when I did, I couldn't go alone- I always went when my parents did. My grandfather was also to the point he didn't recognize anyone and he was in poor health, which was not the grandpa I knew...to me that scared me. On Saturday he passed away and I feel terribly guilty that I could never overcome my "fear" in order to visit with him regularly, knowing that this day would come. I just liked to think that he would live forever (which he almost did- he was 99). Why couldn't I just deal with it??

One of my earlier memories- they lived in house that was located just behind the church we attended. I would go to preschool in the morning at the church and then run down the hill to Grandma & Grandpa's house. Some days I didn't "feel well" and Grandma would put me up in bed and fix me chicken noodle soup. Within the hour, Grandpa would come home for lunch and I would be "all better" as soon as he walked through the door. He just made me that happy. :o)

4 Comments:

  • Oh Diana, I'm so sorry about your Grandpa.......he understands and will always be in your heart....don't beat yourself up over this. Hugs.....

    By Blogger Jen, at 10:09 AM  

  • I know what you are saying about nursing homes. I've never had a family member in one, but I have visited a few times and it can be rather intimidating.

    I am sorry to hear about your grandfather. Take care and let us know what we can do to help!

    By Blogger Violet, at 10:18 AM  

  • Hey Di - So sorry to hear about your Grandpa - My thoughts are with you.

    I have the same problem. All of my GrandParents that have passed away were in nursing homes. I could not bring myself to go visit them. I don't know if it was the actual enviorment, or if it was the fact that I didnt want to remember them the way they were while in there....in anycase, I know your Grandpa understands. He knows you love him. As Jen said, don't beat yourself up over it.

    Take care. *HuGs*

    By Blogger Nichole, at 5:13 PM  

  • It's OK honey, I'm sure he understood. Don't beat yourself up, it never helps anything.

    By Blogger Dave Morris, at 9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home